Friday, January 12, 2018

A new day, and a new blog!

Good day to everyone out there, and welcome to my shiny new blog!

As many of you know, almost 10 years ago, I embarked on a mission to "scientifically" determine my favorite movie of all time. As I was a big NCAA college basketball fan at the time, I decided to use that method to figure out a winner.

So I drew up a list of 230+ films, slotted them into conferences, picked a number of conference winners, then chose a number of "at-large" bids, all to get to 65 deserving films that would populate a bracketed tournament. The seedings would be generated via the IMDB Top 250 rankings, as well as their users' ratings.

And then the tournament began! First, the "play-in" game...Yellowbeard vs. The Return of the King, with the winner having the unenviable task of beating Casablanca, the overall #1 seed.

Over the next six months, match-ups were posted and the films were compared head-to-head, using categories such as plot, director, quotability, and intangibles. The tourney went from 65 to 64 to 32 to 16 to 8 to 4, with such eclectic matches as Weird Science vs. Citizen Kane or Sin City vs. The Philadelphia Story.

At last, we got to the Final Four: Airplane, Murder by Death, Young Frankenstein, and Raiders of the Lost Ark. And when all was said and done, Young Frankenstein was the Champion!

I was very proud of the work I put in on what started as just an excuse to watch a bunch of films, and there were a few friends and family along the way that followed along, even going as far as filling out their own brackets and making wagers!

So with the 10th Anniversary looming (April 8th was the first blog post), I want to do it again! I know my love for films has only grown, but my tastes may have changed. I know I look at the original list of 230+, and I can't believe some of my choices.

And seriously, how did Star Wars: A New Hope not make the tournament??

Anyway, over the next week, I'm going to finish reformatting the original blog posts and put them up here for you guys to peruse. I'll also be discussing format (will it only be a written blog? What about a podcast? Video?) and lists of films so that once April hits, I'll hit the ground running.

Also, tell anyone you can about this blog. I'd love to have a big audience to geek out about this with me. 😊

1 comment: